Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Ngati Tuwharetoa

Back from my noho (stay) with the Tuwharetoa iwi (tribe) in Taupo, New Zealand. I am now back home in Wellington.

Perhaps the most interesting thing about this weekend was the cultural dynamic--as an anthropology student, this was one of my first cross cultural experiences, but what really made it fascinating was how it was a melding of two cultures; Maori and Pakeha (European/Western/Colonial). I knew I was amongst people of another culture; the rules I had to learn and the feeling of being a child and not understanding was there, but we were speaking English (most of the time), wearing jeans and t shirts (okay, sweaters most of the time) and navigating through our interactions in a manner that was largely derived from Western cultural norms. I am still reeling from this almost post-modern look at defining culture.

Anyways, here are my photos.

The roof of the wharenui.
A pretend moko (tattoo) on this girl's chin runs from a day full of rain and messy eating. This photo was taken by this girl's older sister, Hinekorako.
I'm not in the habit of posting pictures of myself, but look how happy we are! My classmates and I (center) at Huka Falls. Huka means snow in te reo Maori (the Maori language) and eventually came to mean sugar.Huka Falls, Waikato River, Taupo. The water comes gushing in from Lake Taupo, which is filled by the snow melting off the volcanoes Tongariro, Ruapehu, and Ngaurahoe (the latter two were used as Mount Doom in Lord of the Rings).

No comments:

Post a Comment